Today’s hassles and bustles that we go through as we strive to make a living put a lot of pressure on expectant mothers. A mother to be today may not be able to enjoy her pregnancy, labor and newborn child given the pressures that she has to bare on a daily basis. However, if you want to have an easier time during and after pregnancy then it’s a great idea to have a doula.
A doula can be a great help to make your birthing experience a more memorable one, with beautiful memories to keep forever.
A doula will do some or all of the following for you:
- Offer education on the birthing process
- Prepare a birth plan
- Position the fetus at an optimal position prior to birth
- Massage and suggest positions to ease pain
- Provide encouragement and reassurance to the would be mother
- Provide photography or offer video coverage during the momentous occasion for you and your partner or family
The doula is a well trained professional birth support physician who knows what to do under any circumstances that the new mother may be going through. The following are some of the direct benefits that mothers enjoy when they work with a doula:
- Over 50 percent fewer caesarean sections (CS)
- A reduction in the use of forceps vacuum by as much as 40 percent
- Reduced anxiety by up to 28 percent and a noticeable reduction in levels of post-partum depression
- Reduced use of pain medication, by as much as 30 percent
- A reduction in the length of labor by almost 25 percent
- Increased breastfeeding rate
As you can see, the benefits are significant. The majority of first time mother who use a doula when they have their first child find that they cannot go through a second pregnancy without a doula on their side! With the support of your partner and your doula, you will have one of the best times during and after pregnancy regardless of your economic status. Having the right support at childbirth makes all the difference.